Job Posting: Preschool Assistant
Position Title: Assistant Teacher
Organization: Beacon Hebrew Alliance
About BHA Preschool:
BHA Preschool is a half-day program for children ages two to four. Our garden-based, child-centered curriculum nourishes children’s wonder and healthy development. Jewish traditions, woven throughout our work and play, cultivate a spirit of curiosity and gratitude. Read about our program here.
BHA Preschool is part of Beacon Hebrew Alliance, a small, vibrant, progressive synagogue located in the heart of the Hudson Valley, which currently serves about 150 families. At BHA, we believe that Jews from all backgrounds, their partners, and their families, can come together in a supportive, warm and open-minded community to create a meaningful, joyful Jewish life. For more info, visit www.beaconhebrewalliance.org.
BHA Preschool seeks an assistant teacher who is reliable, proactive, and attuned to the emotional and physical needs of young children. This teacher will participate in our garden-based, Jewish program, supporting the lead teachers to meet each child’s needs and guiding the children through daily routines. This position requires 17.5 hours per week beginning as soon as possible. Compensation is $15 per hour.
- Experience and skill in caring for children ages 2-4 in a group setting.
- Experience attending to children’s individual well-being and hygiene.
- Familiarity with progressive, child-centered education. Knowledge about or willingness to participate in Jewish traditions.
- Knowledge about or willingness to participate in garden-based learning.
- An energetic, flexible, and open-minded personality, enthusiasm for daily outdoor garden exploration, and clear, positive communication with children and their families.
- Excellent references.
- Help set up the learning spaces each school day.
- Support the students’ participation in school routines, play, and learning activities, both indoors and outdoors on a daily basis.
- Attend to each child’s personal hygiene and social-emotional needs.
- Change diapers, help children as they learn to use the toilet, and help with hand-washing.
- Support the students during transitions in the day, for example preparing and going outside or inside as a group.
- Support individual students’ self-expression as students observe, question, and investigate.
- Work with the lead teachers to document children’s language, activity, and progress.
- Meet weekly with the lead teachers to reflect and plan.
Beacon Hebrew Alliance is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your letter of interest should reflect your understanding of the job and what qualifies you for it.